Trail for Creative Malvern
Click on a hotspot to find out more
The Lamp and Plaque
The plaque commemorates the author C.S. Lewis, who often stayed in Malvern. The lamp is a reference to the lamp post in 'The Lion, The Witch and Wardrobe'.
Blue Plaque, Unicorn Pub
Great Malvern Priory
Around 1085, a community of Benedictine monks began to build a Priory on land gifted by King Edward the Confessor and so Great Malvern Priory was founded.
Today the Priory is an important place, holding lots of clues to medieval life in a monastery. Visitors can see examples of Britain’s best medieval glass, and an extraordinary collection of medieval tiles and misericords (or ‘mercy seats’) from 14th and 15th centuries.
Malvern Theatres (Assembly Rooms)
The Assembly Rooms and Pleasure Gardens opened in 1885, the complex included a large conservatory and concert hall. Leading performers including music hall legends Albert Chevalier and Marie Lloyd, and ballerina Anna Pavlova appeared at the venue.
Malvern Council bought and upgraded the venue in 1927, making it home to the Malvern Drama Festivals from 1929 to 1939. A major refurbishment in 1997 was completed with Arts Council Lottery funding so that now, renamed Malvern Theatres, the building hosts the most diverse range of entertainments found under a single roof anywhere in the country.
Jenny Lind Memorial, Priory Park
The most famous soprano singer of the 19th century, Jenny Lind, ‘The Swedish Nightingale’, lived at Winds Point, British Camp, and performed at the Royal Well Concert Hall, Upper Colwall.
Malvern’s elegant cast iron bandstand was built around 1875, when this part of Priory Park was the privately owned ‘Promenade Gardens’, catering for the thousands then using Malvern’s spa facilities and visiting on trips from Birmingham and Manchester.
Elmslie House, built by E.W. Elmslie in 1862 was originally part of Lawnside School. Headmistress Winifred Barrows invited Sir Barry Jackson to use Lawnside’s facilities to host producers and performers during the Malvern Festivals of 1929-39. George Bernard Shaw, J. B. Priestley, Dame Laura Knight and others visited often.